Warning: General Spoilers Ahead
Jonathan Nolan, Greg Plageman, and the POI writing team have an impeccable talent for coming up with some very interesting episode titles. The title for Tuesday’s season 4 finale is one of them. “YHWH” is the Hebrew term meaning Yahweh or “God,” which of course makes perfect sense since one of the big themes of the finale is a battle between 2 Gods, The Machine and Samaritan. However, an alternate meaning for YHWH is “Father,” and as it turns out, that has meaning in the episode as well. Stay tuned.
I have screened the finale, and if you thought last week’s “Asylum” was intense, you’d better brace yourselves because that was nothing. Of course no major spoilers here (sorry!), but here are a few teasers that will get your mind racing until Tuesday:
1. As is expected, there is a huge standoff between Elias (Enrico Colantoni) and Dominic (Winston Duke), and yes, folks there are more deaths. But, the way in which the characters die and who is responsible for their deaths is **totally** unexpected and shocking. I nearly fell out of my chair when the scene played out.
2. Control was totally off-base on what she thought the “Correction” was. Yes, it involves killing some people, but it isn’t an orchestrated terrorist attack like she suspected.
3. There’s a huge reveal about the Machine that I don’t think anyone could have seen coming. Let’s just say it involves municipal utilities, 15 laptops, and 15 souped-up RAM chips.
4. There’s a real tear-jerker of a scene towards the end of the episode that involves The Machine talking to Finch and addressing him as “Father,” which I think is also related to the finale’s title, “YHWH.” Get your tissues ready, folks, because this scene will likely make you cry!
5. Computer genius, Caleb Phipps (Luke Kleintank), is back and plays a very important, pivotal role in the battle between The Machine and Samaritan.
6. In total, 4 characters die in the finale, with a 5th one likely to be dead very soon. Greg Plageman said at the NYC Paley Fest event that he had to call 6 actors to break the news that their characters weren’t going to make it past the season finale, and he wasn’t lying! We lost Link and Martine last week, and now, with these that makes a total of 6. Nolan and Plageman had said at the beginning of the season that the finale would be a bloodbath, and it most certainly is.
The season 4 finale of Person of Interest airs Tuesday at 10/9c on CBS.
All photos courtesy of Giovanni Rufino and Warner Bros. Ent.
Geeky computer and math nerd by day and TV fanatic by night. My beats are The Walking Dead, The Strain, Person of Interest, Z Nation, and anything that most people would call freaky. Editor-In-Chief and Lead Writer of TVGeekTalk.com